GREAT RIDERS AREN’T BORN. THEY’RE MADE!
LEARN TO RIDE – OR RIDE BETTER – THE H-D WAY.
If you’re ready to experience the unique thrill of riding your own motorcycle for the first time, there’s no better place to learn than the Motorcycle Training Course at Harley-Davidson® Riding Academy. Mathews Harley-Davidson has teamed up with the California Motorcyclist Safety Program to provide a motorcycle training course designed for the novice rider with no (or limited) street-riding experience. This course includes both classroom and on-cycle instruction. You will learn the fundamental skills required to operate the motorcycle and progress to street riding skills and strategies.
Topics covered include fear, understanding how motorcycles turn, proper cornering strategies, and emergency crash avoidance skills. The course is based on the most current research in rider safety and utilizes modern training methods.
Though designed for new riders, any rider that has not taken a motorcycle course will benefit from this course. Motorcycles and helmets are provided in this course.
MOTORCYCLE TRAINING COURSE
WHAT TO EXPECT
When you take a Motorcycle Training Course at the Riding Academy you’ll:
- Learn to ride on a genuine Harley-Davidson® motorcycle.
- Get in-class and on-range instruction from California Motorcycle Safety Program (CMSP) and H-D® Certified Coaches.
- Learn to safely accelerate, shift, brake, and turn, along with maneuvers like controlling skids and surmounting obstacles.
- Earn an CMSP Motorcycle Safety Course Completion Card, which may exempt you from the riding portion of your license exam and score you a discount on motorcycle insurance.
- Earn a DL389 along with a Certificate of Completion.
MOTORCYCLE TRAINING COURSE FAQS
What will I need to register?
You'll need a valid automobile driver's license or learner's permit, and have the ability to ride a bicycle.
Do I need any special gear?
- A heavy, long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Jeans, chaps, or leather pants
- Over-the-ankle, sturdy footwear
- Full-fingered gloves with leather palms and knuckles
- A helmet that meets DOT requirements
What bike will I ride?
For the riding portion, you will be provided with an XG500 Harley-Davidson Street 500cc Motorcycle equipped with a vehicle protection kit for added rider confidence.